TechnologyCombining the latest tech with world-class personal care
At Cancer Center of South Tampa we take pride in offering patients with all stages and types of cancer the latest options in radiation treatment, from external beam radiation therapies such as image-guided radiotherapy (IGRT), intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT), and stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT), to brachytherapy for prostate cancer, and systemic radiation treatments for cancer in the bone (Xofigo).
- Intensity-Modulated Radiotherapy means that the radiation is precisely sculpted (or modulated) real time to adapt exactly to the target while shielding the sensitive healthy organs nearby.
- We employ the most advanced form of IMRT available called Volumetric Arc Therapy or RapidArc® technology, a major advance that improves radiation conformality while shortening treatment times.
- Unlike conventional IMRT treatments, by using this special software and an advanced linear accelerator, we can deliver a finely-tuned radiation dose to the entire tumor while protecting critical normal tissues in all angles of rotation in typically less than two minutes.
- Image-Guided Radiotherapy allows Dr. Engelman and his staff to have “eyes on the ball” for each and every treatment before ever delivering any therapy, ensuring that the treatments are accurate, effective, and safe.
- IGRT takes IMRT one step further by the use of high-resolution daily imaging to pinpoint tumor locations, monitor that the tissues sensitive to radiation will be excluded from the treatment fields, and adjust patient positioning when necessary — all within the standard treatment time slot.
- Knowing exactly where the tumor is on a daily basis allows us to reduce the amount of tissue receiving radiation, reducing side effects and optimizing the balance between efficacy and safety.